Friday, February 13, 2009

Grammatical Goofiness with Lum and Suzi

Recently, I purchased a big bag of Bit-O-Honey candies for my occasional sweet tooth. In case you aren’t familiar, Bit-O-Honey is like sticky taffy, flavoured with the oddly organic sweetness of real honey. They’ll pretty much pull the fillings out of your teeth, but…mmmmmm… honey…. so delicious… so strangely funky…. try not to think about the fact that an insect made it…


Deciding to have a bit-o-fun with the name, I told Suzi “Now that we have Bits-O-Honey, we can share them with our guests. It’s too bad that Kofi Annan and Boutros-Boutros Ghali don’t drop in more often—we could have Bits-O-Honey with the Secretaries-General.” I thought myself awfully clever for that.


Without missing a beat, she retorted “We could take ‘em to Burger King for some Whoppers Junior.”


(She admitted that this was borrowed from The Onion. Still funny though.)


Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ll go get a couple of Cokes Zero to drink.


For more information on pluralizing postpositive adjectives, see the following article on Everything2: http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1717187 or visit your local library. Reading opens up an amazing world of wonderment and knowledge and whimsy and other things like that.

No comments: