Friday, October 9, 2009

About 6:45 local (DFW) time--1:45 in Copenhagen

The Canadair Regional Jet which is designated United Airlines filght 6087 charges like an angry bull and leaps into the clouds. Dallas, my home since birth, dissolves into pearly grey and is gone.

In a few hours, I will be in Chicago, where a larger airplane will carry me on to my ultimate goal.

Copenhagen, a gorgeous old jewel set high in Europe's crown--founded by hearty Nordics in the days of castles and longboats. The glorious European capitol promises to be a delight for a lover of history and folklore. The Northern Europeans have a certain rarified reputation for their exquisite taste in all things culinary--my guidebook, spare and economical with words, waxes almost obscene with descriptions of restaurants, cafés, and taverns--I don´t expect I will be losing any weight on this adventure, abundant exercise notwithstanding.

Suzi and I have several long-standing traditions. Among them is that before any long trip, we go to The Original Pancake House. This old Dallas original fills the belly with good, solid food, removing the need for snacks and allowing the sort of mental clarity that a filling meal can provide.

Thus sated, my best friend and sister figure went with me to the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. She offered me wisdom borne of multiple international jaunts and she encouraged me with happy words. Finally, she hugged me with her strong arms, and gave me a beautiful smile as I headed into the labyrinthine depths of the airport.

With an hour to burn, I read some news from a recentg issue of the week and also polished off the first sixth of a novel Leah leant me.

Novelist Laurell K. Hamilton is a favourite of my Chamorro paramour, and I was well aware that I might eventually get involved in this woman's writing. So, after Leah, her mom, and her best friend Jeff had copies of Encyclopedia of Beings, we started to talk about faeries.

It seems like almost every culture has myths and folklore about supernatural folk living in wild places. From tiny pixies like the abatwa of abatwa of the Zulu people to breathtaking giants like the Greek cyclopes, some were friendly, some evil, many tricky. Some, like the Japanese kitsune and the Scottish selkies, wore the forms of animals. Some like the redcaps of England were quite malicious, while others, like the Irish clurichauns, were pretty nice to have around. Fascinating stuff.

Wouldn't you just know it? The illustrious ms Hamilton has a serious of books about them. And so did the pretty girl from Guam descend upon me with a sack of seven books, and so did the mythology nerd take the bait. What can I say, I just can't refuse much to a pretty pair of deep brown eyes. Plus...fairies, ogers, sidhe, in the modern world. So cool. Of course, with the speed at which I read these should be a snap. I'll be through them no later than 2012!


ABOUT 11:50 pm (23.50) local time--5:50 Copenhagen time, somewhere near Flint, Michigan

The flight to Chicago went withough a hitch. I can seldom remember a more trouble-free trip. It took a bit of doing to get to the international terminal at O'hare, but I confess to having a secret weapon: the ancient mystical power of 'asking for directions'. I'm told that many men do not possess this magick.

A train ride and a long walk later and I was in line/queue for my flight. I had no time to eat, but they will be serving some food before I sleep.

So far my mood has been amazingly calm all day. I must now confess to a tiny panicky feeling as I was bording the plane.

I have a big confession: I put on a good, educated face, but I am far from cosmopolitan.

PAUSE HERE FOR A DELIGHTFUL DINNER
These Scandinavians feed you pretty well: roast pork, broccoli, bread, even a little piece of brie, 'wee Brie' brand. Why oh why have I never tought to call my 'fake wife' Wee Bree? Probably has something to do with my strong instinct for self-preservation, come to think of it.

So where was I? Oh yes. As Buddy, the hilariously flamboyant gay character on Kids in the Hall once said 'I may talk champagne, but I am strictly beer!' Honestly, if not for National Geographic magazine, the Discovery Channel, and thousands of hours spent studying a half dozen languages I'd never have the guts to try to converse in, I'd be as clueless as everyone who thinks I's so worldly-wise.

So I get on this big plane (an Airbus A340, in case you are keeping score) and everything is instantly different. People are dressed differently from what I am used to, they look different, and everyone is reading tabloids and magazines in Danish.

I got a little panicky at that point. I may not know much, but I definitely know when I'm out of my element.

The inflight announcements were in Danish (helpfully repeated in English afterwards). I've been studying Danish quite a bit for a year and a half. I could make out words. Just a few words.

As the dinner people came around, I warmed up a bit. Whenever I was served, I said mange tak, a fairly common Danish thank you--many thanks, pronounced, roughly, 'man-guh tack.' While my pronunciation is surely laughable, I guess it was charming enough, they didn't laugh anyway.

So, as the airbus sails over the cold, dark waters of the north Atlantic, I think I'll try to catch a nap.


TIME UNKNOWN--maybe 9 in the morning in Denmark, somewhere between Labrador and Greenland

Not resting well, its hot and not comfortable, I've dozed a bit.

I just keep on focusing on Annie, with laughing eyes like liquid sapphire and somehow the trip is all worth it.


About 10.30 Denmark time, somewhere between the British Isles and Iceland

Success! I managed to score some sleep---uncomfortable and sweaty but sleep is sleep. I dreamt I'd bought a necklace for Annie, that's all I remember (no, not pearls, why do you ask). A bit of coffee and I should be good. I think bringing sleepy-time medicine was the right thing to do.


BEDTIME--about 11pm (23.00) Thursday Evening

Arrived safe and sound. I've now met Jens, a delightful guy who reminds me just a bit of our friend Doug Zook. I've also met Asha, a good natured and silly little whippet. It's been a lovely evening with G & Ts, delicious pasta, and conversation.

1 comment:

wolfwhosings said...

Yes, it is very, VERY hard to sleep on a plane, at least sleep properly. Particularly because of the instruction to "keep your seatbelt on at all times", which makes it impossible to get a good position going oft times. However, that hard part is over for now - on with the show!